The objective of this sub-threshold two-stage project competition is to obtain proposals for the artistic design of a “Memorial to the Men and Women Victimized by the Persecution of Homosexuals in the Nazi Era”, which is to be erected on a designated site in Resselpark in the 4th municipal district of Vienna.
The competition procedure will be a two-stage open competition. The call for participation and submission of project ideas shall be issued by public notice and be addressed to a nonrestricted group of prospective interested parties. Project proposals/concept ideas must be submitted no later than January 17, 2022, 3.p.m..
The memorial will be dedicated to the victims of the persecution of homosexuals in the Nazi era in Austria between 1938 and 1945. Like with other groups that had often suffered centuries of stigmatizing and discrimination, the social discrimination of homosexual people reached a culmination point during the Nazi regime. Common biases against homosexuals were channeled and reinforced by the state, ideologically instrumentalized and legally sanctioned, launching targeted active persecution with the goal of purging the “racial corpus” of those “undesirable elements.”
Never in history, more people were hunted down, arrested, and criminally sentenced for the sole reason of being homosexuals. And punishment was never harsher, involving—for most of the men affected—imprisonment in a concentration camp, suffering physical mutilation or having medical experiments conducted on them, or even execution.
Persecution on grounds of sexual orientation under the Nazi regime thus defines a pattern, paradigmatic in the Western cultural sphere and encompassing in scale, for discrimination against a state-defined minority.
With the memorial for men and women persecuted during the Nazi regime because of homosexual activities or their sexual orientation, the City of Vienna sets up a visible sign to commemorate the crimes of National Socialism. And of course the group that the memorial is dedicated to immediately relates to Vienna, even if the symbolic impact of such a commemorative site may radiate to the other Austrian States and beyond the borders of the country.
The memorial is planned to be a site of dignified commemoration of the victims of the persecution of homosexuals and moreover become a lively meeting place in public space. The memorial should encourage commemoration and taking a momentary pause, and it should speak to all generations. It should not only be inspiring at an intellectual level, but also be touching and provocative; it should be a place for, and for use by, the LGBTIQ community, and it should offer opportunities for mediation.
Resselpark, 1040 Vienna
DOCUMENTS AND MATERIALS
You can find the Competition Brief via this link.
Attachements are availabe for download here: https://we.tl/t-cQ2QRQuIby
You can find the Minutes of the Site Visit from Octobe 15, 2021 via this link. Additional important and noteworthy information from the magistrates have been added.
You can find the answered questions via this link.
- Site inspection: October 15, 2021, 10 a.m. (Registration is requested by October 13, 2021, 12:00 noon at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the 2.5 G rule: vaccinated, recovered or PCR tested)
- NEW: Written inquiries deadline, stage 1: December 2, 2021
- NEW:Written inquiry responses, stage 1 (Websites KÖR and WASt): December 14, 2021, at the latest
- Concept submission/Upload of stage-one materials: January 17, 2022, 3 p.m. at the latest
- Preliminary examination: Upon submission of entries
- Stage-one jury meeting: February 15 and 16, 2022, starting 9 a.m.
- Notification of participants selected for stage two: Shortly after the jury meeting
- Written inquiries deadline, stage 2: March 10, 2022
- Written inquiry responses, stage 2: As soon as possible
- Stage-two submission deadline: April 21, 2022, 3 p.m. at the latest
- Preliminary examination: Upon submission of detailed design proposals
- Stage -two jury meeting: May 18, 2022, starting at 9 a.m.
- Announcement of results: Shortly after the jury meeting
Two-stage Competiton "Memorial to the Men and Women Victimized by the Persecution of Homosexuals in the Nazi Era"
September 24, 2021 to Mai 18, 2022
In cooperation with WASt - Wiener Antidiskriminierungsstelle für LGBTIQ -Angelegenheiten
- Site inspection Freitag, Oktober 15, 2021 / at 10:00